Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good Hair Days

I Can’t Remember Exactly When. . .
I read an article about racial differences in women’s self-esteem. White women had higher self-esteem on days they felt skinny; black women had higher self-esteem on a good hair day.

December 1972
The first Christmas photo of the Taylor girls - me, a chubby infant, held by my 6 year-old sister with afro puffs. Years later our little brother will refer to this picture as Princess Leah meets Jabba the Hut.

Late 1970s
After trying to hot comb my hair, my mother spits out the label “tender-headed”. I cry. My head is not the only part of me that’s tender.

Early 1980s
A photo of me taken at church wearing two chin length braids fastened by barrettes at top and bottom, a plaid jacket with sleeves two inches from my wrists, round black glasses and an awkward smile to hide my buck teeth.

Summer 1985
Mommy takes me to her hairdresser to get my first relaxer. It takes forever for the roller set to dry. When I shake out the long, straight hair, I think I am grown.

Fall 1994
I see a “Black Hair Care” sign on Broxton Avenue in Westwood. I climb the stairs of the salon and sit in Ana’s chair for the first time. I find my way to her chair every two weeks for the next 12 years.

October 2003
Natalia drives up from Virginia for my father’s funeral in Brooklyn. I don’t remember what either of our hair looked like on that day.

April 2006
I look at myself in the hand mirror after Ana cuts off the relaxed hair. I barely recognize the woman staring back at me. She looks happy.

December 2006
I cringe when the church ladies ask me, “What happened to all that beautiful hair?” I tell them, “I cut it off!”

November 2007
I got my hair braided to grow out my curly ‘fro. The long hair draws attention from the guys, but it is short-lived.

June 2008
I sit perfectly still in Crystal’s chair as she lops off five inches with scissors. I feel myself come back with every snip.
__________________________________________________________________
Thanks to the participants in Duke's Poet's Workshop for their helpful feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment